Sunday 27 September 2009

An angel whispered in my ear...

..and it said, 'join Facebook'. So I did, and I have no idea why. Of course it wasn't an angel, it was alcohol and boredom...I was skimming the web on Friday evening with a glass in my non-mouse hand and Miss Dunnit was ignoring me in favour of instant chat on Facebook. So I decided to join so I could muscle in on what she was doing! Is it me? I'm a member of several forums (fora?) that by their very name, are established to bring the 'like minded' together (doncha love that phrase - 'like minded'; I think the writers of Enterprise used it as inspiration for the Borg Collective). I think I'm so late joining Facebook because it strikes me as being the absolute opposite - a forum for everybody with nothing in common. And you face your 'wall' and have to 'search' for friends. Oh my. How depressing; and then you have to wait while your friend decides if you actually are a friend or not. Gah. Lucky I've got thick skin! And then of course there's the obvious 'out-there' thing about your life and details. Somehow more so than on a blog. But I joined anyway. And I'm feeling a bit vulnerable about it actually. Is that very 40-something of me? A couple people I've looked up and their page says that they don't show any information about themselves until you're accepted as a friend. And so the point is? I'm not getting it am I? I've been a member for all of 48 hours and have already written that I'm probably not going to be a regular! (I wrote this on my 'wall'. You just know that the inventor of this network is at the very least, half my age.) And I need to find out how to turn off the email notification. Lord, I just about had a power surge when I checked email tonight - 17 on a Sunday - apparently if you're my friend and your scratch your, erm, nose, I get an email about it now. And then I can go read it off a wall. Sounding tetchy? I am aren't I! My angel card is soothing though - Inkadinkado image - quite lovely, huh. Cuttlebug embossed the card and a bit of printed vellum. It's for the White Christmas workshop. Cue Linda, singing a song and talking about a film I've never heard of. Really.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

You are lucky you are facing that wall hunny - coz I just spat coffee at you!

You do make me larf ... and don't expect a reply from me on face book ... I stopped going when people I don't like started trying to be my friend ... why put yourself through it? ... And other people that I hardly knew kept wanting to hug me ... I like my personal space ... not a huggy kind of a girl ... unless I am under the influence ... then I will snog anyone ... That was a joke ... the snogging part anyway :0)

Carmen said...

The angel I love! I must search out that image - gorgeous, love what you did with it!

Facebook... not so much. Many a time I've said 'that's it I'm shutting down my account' after some random person who never spoke to me at school has tried to 'befriend' me. But Craig loves it - he gets to spy on his Mum who practically lives on there... not to mention all MY friends (he's such a curtain twitcher!) so basically I keep the account for him. To be nosy. And there are occasional competitions on there for me. And for some strange reason some friends would rather communicate publicly through there than via email. So I'll now add you and sit impatiantly drumming my fingers on my desk to see if I'm 'accepted' :P

Paige said...

Very swweet little angel, christmas is a great reason to get the heat gun out and do some embossing :) loving the torn edges!
FAce book............. well I'm on there as much as as possible I have to be honest! Living away from all my family it's a great way to chat and keep up to date with photos and snippets of their news. I tunred those pesky emails off ages ago though 30+ a day!!!!! why would you want them???? FB sort it out!!!
I have requested a friendship and will wait and see if you return :)

Angie said...

As I have said before ...cant get to grips with it at all so I sort of ignore it unless a name fom the past ... that I really want to know about .... surfaces. I'm always worried I say something that i dont want certain people to know or I pass something on I shouldn't !!!!! I'm not really sure what FB relates to ...at least Blogging ...which I see as a Diary /gallery/soapbox, makes sense. FB seems like a phone call that everyone can listen in to.

Love love love your imbossed angel ... the perfect elegant card for your elegant friends lol

CoventryAnn said...

Never even been on Facebook (luddite!)... as a teacher it's too full of schoolkids for me :)

Chrissie said...

Good job you've got that angel I'd say, you'd probably need soothing after emails from goodness knows who or is that whom?
It's a great angel too.
There'sa little something for you on my blog!
Chrissie

Jenny said...

Love the trek reference there!! Fab angel and I shall be looking you up on the great FB, you'll get used to it ;-) x x

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about some comments and some language. you only need to add what you want to be known about your life and it goes out to folk that you might not necessarily phone, but you keep them in the loop so to speak.
Lady Nurse.

Elin said...

Your angel card is beautiful!

Must admit I'm only on facebook for the games. Farmville has become very addictive!

Jay said...

Found you on FB. Hope you'll be my friend on there as well as IRL. :-)

helen said...

Oh hush and stop fussing! I had the facebook diatribe from my man last night, on and on about how people are brainwashed into believing they really 'need' it when they don't. I got a bit shirty actually, thought he was being rather patronising, and all because he doesn't know how to use it and probably wouldn't be able to find his glasses to read what it said on the screen anyway, lol!
I'll come and be your friend! I have many teenage friends, which is of course a bit sad, but also quite a few grown-ups, and it's nice, and rather soothing, to see that they're all well and able to put together a sentence about what they're doing. I've contacted a friend's daughter after trying in vain to get the friend to answer her phone, and now I'm going to go round and see her for the first time in about five years!
Oh, and yes, I am SO the best at driving - judging distance, space, speed etc! x

Fiona said...

FB - what a larf - I use it for the games - and checking up on my DD! lol! I've found some old old friends which was quite nice but we're not picking out curtains or anything! There are organised craft events on there too - if you need more inspiration for card swaps etc - but I'm sure i'll get bored of it very soon.

Fiona said...

And what do you mean you've never seen White Christmas - I'm shocked - had to pick myself up off the floor! Its surely a Christmas tradition - just like Meet Me In St Louis - when Judy Garland sings Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - it makes my Christmas - maybe that's the singer in me! I subject all my family to it every Christmas Eve - lol!

Megan said...

Julia - I ADORE facebook - been on there over a year and as you know you were my 400th friend. How appropo (or whatever). In that same day i found the adorable 5 year old I babysat for some 15 years ago in college (she's in college now herself and living in Paris) and you, plus some family members. I love that I can keep up with the young people in my life (neices, cousins, kids I babysat) and my high school, college, work and scrapbook friends ALL at the same time. I will sing the high praises of FB forevah! OH and I don't bother with any of the requests to do anything silly - grow a farm to have a virtual drink - Ignore ALL those - with one quick click I might add.