Sunday 19 December 2010

Serendipity, I think....


Serendipity is a propensity for making fortunate discoveries while looking for something unrelated.
This is what Wikipedia has as a meaning for serendipity. And it's as good a description as any, especially as Wiki goes on to say that the people who do these things have found this to be one of the ten hardest words in the English language to 'translate'. How interesting. Well, I thought so.
So today, amongst other jobs, I decided to sort out an area of work space that you've all seen but never noticed. At the right edge of my desk, sits my basket of stamps - you know the ones that are perpetually waiting to be cleaned...well tucked between that and the side of my stamp shelves is my Scor-Pal. This means there's room for various bits of paper that aren't scraps for general use but that I need or want to keep.
One of them has been my faithful spray paper for oh, I dunno, about 3 months probably. As you can see, it was temporarily the desk protector for snowflake spraying, but it has other layers added since, including a magnificent glitter spray that you can't see.
All fascinating Julia, but how do you get from that recycled envelope to Serendipity? Ah well you see...turns out it's not a recycled envelope, despite appearances. I picked it out of it's home this morning - and because the intention was to tidy and not actually use stuff, I happened to turn it over and realise.....it's unopened and full. And that would be where I put my Tax Return - on my desk for attention.
The serendipity is of course, that I've found it in time. Now, after I've finished here, I'm going to launch a full scale and exhaustive search for my memory, which is apparently, entirely absent.

27 comments:

Victoria said...

Thi shas made me smile exactly what I have done with bills as I recycle evelopes for writting challenges and drawign sketches on x

jacque4u2c said...

Great use of recycling!!! ;o)

Kirsty.A said...

Excelent - send back your tax return in that now-beauiful envelope. I dare you!

Kay said...

LOL lucky that you found it in time! Love the new background, very festive :)

Helen said...

Good job you found it - and I love the new look to the envelope - and also to your blog - it looks very festive!

misteejay said...

The blog looks fab - all very Christmassy.

I'm sure the Tax man would love to receove a lovely decorated return (even if it is just the envelope) LOL

Toni :o)

Pam said...

If only all post from the taxman came in envelopes that pretty! Love the new look blog, very festive. Hugs Pam x

Anonymous said...

Please can you find me some material in this gorgeous spotty background? I want and need it!!

Anonymous said...

That was me in the post before.

LL Jan xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am not in a very festive mood today, but coming to your blog was like a breath of fresh sunshine and Christmas cheer. From the new blog banner and background, to the humor you provide in every post (especially this one today, just when I needed it), you have lifted my spirit and put a smile on my face. And the really best news I read was it wasn't too late!

Krisha said...

How wonderful for you, in both cases!! LOL It is so much fun to discover something you did with realizing it! I don't think the tax man wold get as much joy form it as you have....KEEP IT!

KanataNewf said...

A very serendipitous discovery indeed!

Scrapcat 1 said...

oh cripes glad you found the return in time, love the colours you have used for your spraying and the new look to the blog is so very festive!

Elizabeth said...

I couldn't help but chuckle - of all the envelopes to bury :) I have so much respect (read fear for respect)for Inland Revenue that I completed my return a few months ago - couldn't bear to pay the late return fine. The envelope looks really pretty though. Elizabeth x

oneoff said...

Must be the prettiest tax return ever. Now surely it would be a waste to do this online; make a tax inspector happy instead and send it off to them!

Cardarian said...

Oh that made me laugh! I am on the search of my memory constantly! It used to be so good but now...eh!
Have a lovely evening!
Hugs,
Cardarian

Sheilagh said...

What are you like? lol
Hope it beats the Christmas post.

Sheilagh said...

Love your new look by the way:0)

Zue said...

What a lucky find...a truly serendipitous moment!
Sue xx

If you find your memory...don't foget where you put it.

Zue said...

What I mean is...if you find your memory put it somewhere obvious. Put it on a post-it note and stick it to your pc monitor.

Aisling said...

Such a funny post! Glad that someone finally managed to explain me the meaning of the word serendipity!

Pam said...

Ha Ha!! I'll have you know I've had very little wine since I started my diet, its been replaced by Gin with slimline tonic of course!!! There are 4 sins in a gin and 8 in a wine so I can have twice as many;-)

Pam said...

Ah Julia, no matter what it is you always make me smile. Love the cheerful new background, the serendipitous story, the "has been" which you know you never will be w/us, and the memory search. Isn't there a button for that on the computer? Or perhaps it was with the button jar? Well, give me a hint please because I've been looking for mine lately as well.

Annie said...

Good luck with the tax form....not one of my fav jobs. At least you've found it in time :-) Oh and I will be round later to wash those dirty stamps :-)
A x

Lyn said...

Fabulous looking blog dahling - very festive. Did chuckle over the tax return which creeps up my guilt-list after Christmas - last year I managed to get it in early. On 30th Jan for a change ......

Carmen said...

Brilliant - you really should send it back in that envelope too - send some Christmas cheer into those offices :)

Chrissie said...

Wonderful!
Most serendipitous!
I'm glad my OH does all that for me!
Chrissie